I am from the tracings of blue highways on wrinkled maps,
runaway bride, teenage optimism, and the hard realities of life.
Daughter of two kids from Wyoming, I am from a big sky
and a small town tucked in the shadow of Heart Mountain,
with its majestic rockscape and jagged edge of WWII history.
I am from a myriad of temporary homes, all the places I rested
my hat and hope, from Vacaville to Tacoma, from Carson City
to Lincoln. They say, “Home is where the heart is,” and my heart
was a shiftless wanderer. Postcard welcome mats, humming highway
miles, and truck stop dinners in the dead of night, bookmark
my story’s pages.
I am from the library, where the passports to my best voyages
rest on shelves lined up like a stone path of discovery.
I am from morning coffee in a kitchen quiet with morning
and the blue light of possibility.
Rarely afraid of change, I follow my own holds, anchor my own
feet. I’m just learning to rock climb, to tie my knots and rely
on my harness and belay below.
I am from the long trail reaching from Lincoln to Eagle, the
crushed rock that passes beneath my bike tires, the Nebraska
flora and fauna that flank the trail, and the cornfields I pass
during long, golden afternoons lost in my own thoughts.
I am from dark beer and light-hearted jokes, the cold marble slab
on my favorite bar, the nights slick with summer humidity
and the weight of the Midwest.
I am from Nowhere and Everywhere, from Here and There,
from Then and Now. My place is displacement, the frenzied
electric gap between what I know and why I think I know it.
I am from language and silences, from poetry and prose.
I am from the pages of my favorite books.
As I have been reading and responding to different blogs today, I find it interesting to see how many of us mention public libraries as in important place in our histories. The library was my way out of places I didn't want to be. I like your strength that you show in your writing.
ReplyDeleteErica,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have had quite the journey to get you where you are today! I look forward to hearing more about your continued learning as a teacher and a student.
I am wondering if you assign your blog to your students to read or interact with in anyway or if it is just there for them if they are interested type of thing.
There seems to be a surprising number of people who consider their current physical places to be temporary. This causes me to wonder if we are ever really in a permanent place, and what concessions we make when be stop thinking of a place as temporary.
ReplyDeleteHmm.
I just rode over to Eagle and back this cool afternoon. It's been one of my regular routes since I moved here - makes me wonder if our paths have crisscrossed on the trail :)
ReplyDeleteI envy your fearlessness about change, and your ability to embrace displacement. And I can't wait to see your cartoons!
Hi Erica,
ReplyDeleteAs someone who has blogged forever (At one time I think I had about five or six blogs, and now I just have this one), I want to compliment you on the design of this one. I can remember having my high school students create web pages back in 1999 and they were required to provide at least three links in their pages. We made those web pages on old IBM machines without Windows. We made them in Microsoft Works using basic html codes. It was something. So, again, I love the space you have created here. I love your use of YouTube and Ted to explain what you are interested in. Love the blog roll, too. And, of course, your writing is extremely interesting and thought provoking. I'm so glad you are joining us.
Well hello there E.F.R,
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy to be reading your wonderfully thought provoking writing again. As always, you make me think deeply about places, spaces, and the in-between areas that are undefined and unsettled. I appreciate the honestly and strength in your voice, and I look forward to reading more of your wonderful writing!
Erica -
ReplyDeleteI am disappointed that in my business I have only just read your blog now (its Tuesday night). You have a wonderful way with words. Your description of the library books truly resonated with me. The videos that you have incorporated say so much. It seems that you are quite content in the midst of change. Even though I often find myself living through changeable conditions, I often wish for a feeling of home and permanence. I wonder if this feeling is fleeting. Thanks for the thought-provoking writing.
Poet-
ReplyDelete:) Though we've only known each other since June, I feel like we are old friends. I so enjoy reading your writing--this I am From poem is beautiful and gives a perfect picture of the dynamic person you are. Thanks for sharing. I hope the year is off to a rockin' start...we are knee-deep in inquiry with my seniors and the freshmen are loving their comp. notebooks (I had a student write for nearly 4 minutes today!!! He hasn't written for more than a minute and a half since we broke out the comp. notebooks!). I think it's turning into a beautiful mess...can't wait to tell you about it :)
Thanks, everyone, for such thoughtful responses. I'm looking forward to seeing and experiencing our connections, however virtual, and the many ways we will bring these digital discoveries into our lived lives. And Danielle, we'll have to share inquiry notebook stories at midterm.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad I'm in a class again with you, even if it is virtual. I'm also glad we're neighbors. I'm most glad I get to read your words again. Your blog is most excellent (question: how do you "blogroll?").
ReplyDeleteI had no idea Lincoln has been your "home" for so long. Maybe not home, but your place of physical being. I love your "I am from" poem. Something that would be interesting (and I'm just writing that it would be interesting; I'm not proposing we all do this) would be to include audio files somehow, somewhere in this virtual classroom, to hear words out loud. Hearing you read is a real treat!
Thanks for sharing here!
Hi Erica,
ReplyDeleteWay to go with the links in your "I am from," you hypertexting mamma, you! I really loved the postcard link-- I'd heard of the project but never seen the site. Unbelievably cool!
I have always admired your Geek Pride ethic, and this blog does justice to that. Nice to see the Soja video here again. I've watched it a few times since you shared it in Rhetoric and the Body and thought about using it in my Writing and Communities class.
I liked your musings on your student housing as place, too. Can't wait to see Captain Inquiry show up somewhere in this class...
Hi Erica,
ReplyDeleteYour writing has a lot of depth, and it makes me want to return time and again. You've shown tremendous strength and resilience in the face of the "hard realities of life." I love the design of your blog, the modified Star Trek headers, and the photos. Maybe someday we'll meet in person. It gives me courage to meet other PhD students, however that may occur, and share experiences as we go through the program.
I am from morning coffee in a kitchen quiet with morning
ReplyDeleteand the blue light of possibility.
Rarely afraid of change, I follow my own holds, anchor my own
feet. I’m just learning to rock climb, to tie my knots and rely
on my harness and belay below.
I don't know what the belay is, but I like belay below. The blue light of possibility captures that special time of the day the first person who's up gets, a silent moment of reflection on what this day will bring. I hope the traveling you did this summer revealed some of the possibility that is, but had yet to be acknowledged that you spoke of.
Your blog is beautiful, a true reflection of what I see in you.
Thanks, Lucie.
ReplyDelete